Please note that all screen shots displayed in this blog are works in progress and in no way represent the appearance of the final game. Check out the main site here.

Be sure to follow us everywhere with these links!



Saturday, April 9, 2011

Clunky, but cool.


Well as you can see from the above screenshot, my procedural sky code is working well. When I say 'well' however, I mean that as a tech demo it is working well, but in a practical sense it is currently a MASSIVE resource hog and is making the rest of the game run really slow. You'll notice in the above screenshot that I had to turn off all of my other cool lighting just to get the skies to load up properly hahaha

Why are they so resource hungry? Well, you can't see it in a still shot, but those clouds actually move through the sky, break apart, reform, etc all on their own in a procedural manner. While they're doing this, the sun is moving through them as well as the three moons that orbit the land of Ahkranox. All of this is done dynamically as the light levels and colour tones of the sky change throughout the day. It's actually quite beautiful to watch and when it isn't running so embarrassingly slow I will upload a video showing just how nicely it works.

Anyway, just a quick post to show you what's been on my mind lately! Another one soon when I get it working faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment